
Yes, I have started a blog to share my charming drawings with a world that's been, frankly, crying out for this sort of enlightenment. If you're very lucky I might expand the remit and post examples of the sorts of nonsense I spend my pays mulling over. For instance, why am I obsessed with the Discworld book Monstrous Regiment? To be sure, Pratchett is a fine writer, and its true that I enjoy the story archetype of the girl dressing as a boy to go to war... but it's a flawed book... the theme and consequently the plot and the main character's arc seem to meander a little uncertainly... but still...
I keep drawing bits of it. Well... I keep drawing Maladicta the cross-dressing vampire soldier (sorry if that's a spoiler for anyone) and now I've finally managed to commit Polly to paper in a form I'm pleased with.
Their uniforms in the book are described as - dunno, 19th century English? - but I've been veering more in the direction of WWI or WWII style uniforms. These aren't great scans (my computer has an uneasy relationship with pencil) but you get the gist of it. Mal is all 1930s, as well as being a lesbian vampire soldier (well, possibly lesbian), and my take on her has been developing...
Pol is a bit more 40s but seems to have kept better track of her shako than Mal. The odd thing is I always envisaged that Mal would continue to live as a boy post-Monstrous Regiment, enjoying the freedom it gave her, whereas Polly would be more of a standard bearer for female soldiery in Borogravia, but when I came to draw them it was almost the other way round.
Anyhoo, thought I'd kick off with some of my most recents doodlings. More soon.
Kata.


No comments:
Post a Comment